Search site

Interpreting UK maps based on global temperature change

Maps show the spatial pattern of projected change at a particular probability level for a specific global average temperature rise. The same interpretation caveats apply to these maps as to the customisable maps.

Looking at the map below (which shows the projected changes in June mean precipitation for a projected global temperature rise of 5º C) it must be remembered that this map shows a uniform 80% probability level across the whole country. In reality, the 80% probability level will not necessarily occur at the same time across the whole country. So in this map, the –10 to –20% decrease in precipitation around Glasgow will not necessarily occur at the same time as the 10–20% increase in the Shetlands. So, maps are useful for a visual image of projected change but should not be used as spatial comparisons of change.

        global_temp.jpg