A 'variable' is the name given to measurements such as temperature or precipitation (climate variables), Sea level rise or salinity (marine variables) and total days of air frost (derived variables).
Find out more
- The implications of one's choice of variable when building a request are discussed in section 4.4 of the UKCP09 Climate change projections report.
- A complete list of climate variables for which probabilistic projections are available is given in the UKCP09 Climate change projections report. Table 1.1 gives variables for projections over land and Table 1.2 gives variables for projections over marine regions. Some additional information about precipitation is given in Box 1.2 of the UKCP09 Climate change projections report.
- There are some variables for which probabilistic projections could not be produced for UKCP09. These are summarised in chapter 5 of the UKCP09 Briefing Report with further detail in section 4.8 of the UKCP09 Climate Change Projections report.
- An overview of the outputs from the UKCP09 Weather Generator is provided in section 1.4 of the Climate change projections report.
- Information is also available on observed climate variables. The Observed Trends report, in the Reports & guidance section, provides details of recent trends in the UK.